Friday 24 August 2012

Midweek Treats: Madeleines

As the weather was unbearably hot in Munich on Monday I stayed in and did some baking. Armed with my trusty The Art of French Baking book I set about choosing something from all the lovely recipes. I decided on the French classic Madeleines as I had bought a Madeleine tray earlier in the week- for some reason I'd never been able to find one in the UK- and wanted to try it out. Here's how they turned out:
Because I'm currently living in rented accommodation and cooking equipment is limited, I had to make these without the aid of a pair of scales- nightmare! Luckily they turned out well.

Here's how to make them if you fancy trying them out:

Ingredients:

125g butter, melted
150g caster sugar
150g plain flour, sifted
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 170˚c (higher for non fan-assisted ovens) and grease your Madeleine tray
  • Whisk the eggs and the caster sugar with an electric whisk until they have tripled in volume
  • Fold in the flour, butter and vanilla extract
  • When a nice consistency, rest mixture in the refrigerator for around 2 hours
  • Spoon the mixture into the moulds, making sure to not fill them quite to the top (they rise a LOT)
  • Bake for 6-8 mins (the recipe I was using said slightly longer but I made 3 batches and the ones that were baked for around 6 minutes turned out the spongiest (and nicest!))

*recipe makes 36 small Madeleines*

Let me know how you get on if you decide to make these as well!

{Image: Laura Blanksby, using Instagram; recipe adapted from The Art of French Baking, Phaidon}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...